Verse: John 15:1–15:10
This week Pastor Carlos did a topical study about the true meaning of what it means to be fruitful. In John 15:1-10 we see how Jesus stated that "I AM" the True Vine.... This is 1 of 7 "I AM" statements that Jesus mentions in all of scripture. Pastor Carlos explained how we approach our walk with Jesus, kind of like we approach a New Year’s Resolution and that the way we grow spiritually is by producing fruit spiritually. So with having a proper perspective of bearing fruit let us discuss some relevant questions.
1. What does it mean to Subdue?
2. How have you treated your walk like a New Year's resolution?
3. What makes "I AM" statements so significant?
4. What vines have you connected to or are still connected to?
- What does your fruit currently look like?
The teaching continues with two main points to focus on:
1. You cannot bear true spiritual fruit unless you’re truly connected to Jesus
2. He prunes us so that we bear more fruit.
As Christians we know there have been times in our lives when we start out fruitful, than it stops all of a sudden. Why is that? In Psalms 1, it gives us a clear comparison between the righteous and the wicked and how they contrast. We see the counsel of the world when you walk in worldly advice, when you stand in that counsel it begins to take root in your life and when you sit it means you are in full agreement with the wicked. We see how as Christians we need to delight in the law of the Lord, meditate day and night? Galatians 5 clearly defines what we should abstain from and what the fruit of the spirit is. We must know that radical transformation requires radical amputation. Compromise isn’t an event it’s a process.
1. Where does “do what thou wilt” derive from?
2. How do we pattern our lives after the world?
3. Do you delight in Jesus?
- Is he enough?
4. What does digesting like a cow illustrate?
5. Are you planting yourself next to Jesus?