This week we continued our study of Acts chapter 1.
Read Acts 1:1-8.
- Is the disciples’ question in verse 6 a valid question? Why or why not?
- What do you think the kingdom of heaven is/will be like? How does what you believe compare with what Jesus taught during His ministry?
In verse 8, Jesus promises power via the Holy Spirit.
- What is this power for?
- Why is this power necessary?
In all four gospels, John the Baptist says that Jesus will baptize with the Holy Spirit (Matt 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, & John 1:33). Jesus references this statement in Acts 1:4-5.
- Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as “the promise of the Father” in verse 4. What can we learn about this promise from the Old Testament? Split into two groups; have one group study Isaiah 32:14-20 and the other study Joel 2:28-32, then have each group share what they found.
- What does this baptism have to do with us today?